Research > Overview
My most recent research was at the Frankfurt branch of the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab within the Information Center for Education at the German Institute of International Educational Research from January to August in 2013. My work concerned natural language processing and educational text analytics problems specifically dealing with automatic free text assessment. Before that, I worked at the Webis Group within the Faculty of Media at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar from 2011 to 2012 on a German research grant called "Strategies for Robust Design of Structures" funded by the State of Thuringia. Earlier still, I was with the Information Storage, Analysis and Retrieval (ISAR) Group within the School of Computer Science and Information Technology at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, which concluded with the submission of my PhD thesis in 2010. My research interests are broadly in information retrieval, data mining, machine learning, and natural language processing. I have successfully completed projects on plagiarism detection, authorship attribution, digital engineering, paraphrasing, experiment software, automatic short answer grading, online assessment software, and computer science education.
- Research scientist at the German Institute for International Educational Research working on educational text analytics during the first 8 months of 2013.
- Postdoctoral research at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar applying simulation data mining techniques to civil engineering problems from 2011 to 2012.
- PhD research on Authorship Attribution from 2007 to 2010.
- Project-based research on Online Assessment from 2007 to 2008.
- Personal research on Computer Science Education in 2005.
- Research programmer work on software that interfaces with a Humprey Field Analyser machine capable of measuring patient eye health in 2005.
- Computer Science Honours research on Plagiarism Detection in 2004.
- IEEE COMPSAC 2009 Best Student Paper
- College of Science, Engineering and Health Postgraduate Research Student Conference (SEHPRSC) 2009 Best Engineering Oral Presentation Honourable Mention
- Computer Science and Information Technology Research Student Conference (CRSC) 2008 Best Paper Award 2nd Place
- Computer Science and Information Technology Research Student Conference (CRSC) 2007 Best First Year Paper
- Book chapter reviewer for iConcept Press (2010) and Bentham Science Publishers (2012).
- Journal paper reviewer for SPE (2010), TOCE (2010, 2011), TIST (2011), AJET (2012), IS (2012), NNW (2012), ESE (2017), SCICO (2018) and TLT (2018).
- Conference paper reviewer for ACL (2011), CIKM (2011), I-KNOW (2011), EMNLP (2012), ICISTM (2012), ICIT (2012) and AIRS (2013).
- Workshop paper reviewer for PAN (2010, 2011, 2012), TIR (2011, 2013) and BEA (2013).
- General Chair of the Computer Science and Information Technology Research Student Conference (CRSC) 2007.
- Regularly participated in school, college and Melb Uni/RMIT student conferences.